The Brightside: Easter Hot Cross Buns
We love this simple Hot Cross Buns recipe from The Australian Women’s Weekly. Nothing says Easter more than the smell of hot cross buns wafting from the oven. While it is easy to pick these up from the shops, they have nothing on these delicious homemade buns, and they are well worth that little bit of extra effort.
Easter Hot Cross Buns
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or vegetable oil
- 60 grams (2 ounces) butter, chopped
- 1 cup (250ml) apple or pear juice, at room temperature
- 7 grams sachet dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- 1/3 cup (55g) dried currants
- 1/3 cup (55g) sultanas
- 5 1/3 cups (800g) bread flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
- 1 tablespoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) cold water, approximately
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon powdered gelatine
- 1 tablespoon water
1. Bring milk to the boil in a small saucepan; remove from heat. Add honey, oil and butter; stir until combined.
2. Whisk juice and yeast in a large bowl until dissolved. Add egg and rind, then currants and sultanas. Add combined flour, cinnamon and salt, then milk mixture; using your hand, mix together until combined. Cover with plastic wrap; stand in a warm place for 30 minutes or until the dough doubles in size.
3. Lightly knead dough on a lightly oiled or floured surface for 10 seconds. Return to bowl, cover; stand in a warm place for 1 hour or until risen by half.
4. Divide the dough into 16 pieces (each a little over 90g/3 ounces); shape into balls. Place in a large square cake pan or baking dish lined with baking paper or greased, in four rows of four. Cover; stand in a warm place for 30 minutes or until risen by half.
5. Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F.
6. Make flour paste: Combine flour and sugar in a small bowl. Gradually mix in enough water to make a smooth paste. Place flour paste mixture into a small piping bag fitted with a small plain tube. Pipe crosses onto the buns.
7. Bake buns for 25 minutes or until buns are browned and sound hollow when tapped. Cool in pan.
8. Make glaze: Combine ingredients in a small saucepan; stir over low heat, without boiling, until sugar and gelatine dissolve.
9. Transfer buns to a wire rack and brush tops with glaze.
SHOP THE LOOK IN TIME FOR EASTER:
Poppy Floral Organic Cotton Twinset
Retro Stripe Organic Cotton Twinset
Rad Team Ladies Organic Cotton Jumper - Pink
Rad Kid Organic Knit Pom Pom Beanie - Pink
Petal Puff Organic Cotton Twinset
Rad Kid Organic Knit Pom Pom Beanie - Cyan
Rad Kid Organic Knit Beanie - Espresso
Rad Team Organic Cotton Knit Kids Jumper - Cyan